A night guard serves as a specialized oral appliance designed to address a common dental concern known as bruxism – the involuntary grinding and clenching of teeth, usually occurring during sleep. When our dentists and team suspect that you may have bruxism, a night guard is often one of the first recommendations we provide.
This customized device serves a dual purpose: safeguarding your teeth against potential damage and curbing teeth grinding while you slumber. Given that bruxism predominantly manifests when you are asleep it often goes unnoticed. Key indicators of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, accompanied by facial and ear discomfort
- Waking up with a fatigued or tense sensation in the jaw area
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipping, flattening, cracking or severe erosion
- Noticeable erosion of tooth enamel, exposing underlying layers
- Tongue-side indentations
- Increased tooth sensitivity
If you notice any of these signs, we encourage you to ask our dentists if a custom night guard could be beneficial to you. Crafted to fit your unique smile comfortably and effectively, this device grants you peaceful sleep while safeguarding your precious teeth.
We invite you to reach out to Schneider Family Dentistry today by calling or texting us at 240-654-3555 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Adam Schneider, Dr. Katie Staub or Dr. Ekpa Eyoma and find out how night guards in Gaithersburg, Maryland, can protect your smile.