Oral cancer is any type of cancer affecting your mouth and throat, including the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, cheeks, throat (pharynx), sinuses and hard and soft palate. Oral cancer is one of the most treatable forms of cancer when diagnosed early, but like all cancers can be life-threatening if it progresses. Detecting oral cancer in its early stages is crucial for effective treatment and improved outcomes.
At Schneider Family Dentistry, we prioritize the early detection and treatment of oral cancers and other abnormalities. As part of your routine dental cleanings and exams, our experienced dentists and team will conduct an oral cancer screening to identify potential signs of oral cancer.
Some common symptoms of oral cancer that we look for during these screenings include:
- A persistent sore throat or the sensation of something stuck in the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- A lasting sore on the face, neck or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Unexplained loss of sensation, pain or numbness in the face, neck or mouth
- Ear pain
- Abnormal lumps, bumps or rough spots on the gums, lips or other areas of the mouth
- Red, white or speckled red-and-white patches inside the mouth
- Difficulty with chewing, speaking or swallowing
- Changes in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
While our team conducts regular screenings for these symptoms, we strongly encourage you to reach out to us if you notice any of these issues or experience dental discomfort. Your health is our top priority, and we are dedicated to assisting you in maintaining optimal oral and overall wellbeing. Call or text us today at 240-654-3555 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Adam Schneider, Dr. Katie Staub or Dr. Ekpa Eyoma and learn more about oral cancer screenings in Gaithersburg, Maryland!